Frequently asked questions
- A bulletproof vest is by default NOT stab proof. A bulletproof vest is designed to capture a projectile, not a knife or an awl. If the vest is bullet and stab proof it will be described on the label of the vest. Read more about this here.
- We recommend as a minimum a stab proof vest of NIJ 1 (edged blade). This ensures that the vest will protect against knives in accordance with the international standards set by the National Institute of Justice.
- You must NEVER buy a used bulletproof vest, or stab proof vest. You never know what the vest has been exposed to, and there is also no guarantee that the vest works.
- Many people say that a bulletproof vest has a predetermined life expectancy of 5 years. But that is not necessarily the case. There are several factors that come into play. The NIJ has conducted a study which shows that factors such as: How much has the vest been used - How has it been maintained – If the vest has fit properly (most people lose/gain weight over the years) - and whether it is generally worn down, what the straps look like, who has worn it.
- It is not illegal to buy a bulletproof or stab proof vest in Europe. Please check with your own country if it is legal to wear.